Trocadero Dance Palace

/ Monday /

Let it be known that I LOVE Sydney Festival. This year seemed a little less exciting then previous years but in fact it is by far the standout for two reasons- Cobblestone Jazz at Becks Festival Bar (I'm still thinking about it!) and The Trocadero Dance Palace.

I'm not going to do this event justice by explaining, so I'll give you the Sydney Festival description that sparked my curiosity:

Sydney’s original Trocadero had its heyday in the 1940s and 50s with lindy-hoppers, swingsters, rockabillies and cha cha cha-ers dancing the nights away in all their finery. It was demolished in the 70s but its spirit jives on in our gloriously re-imagined new night club – Trocadero Dance Palace.

For four nights only, the Festival transforms the newly refurbished Sydney Town Hall into swing-dancing heaven. Our Troc features a huge dance floor, a fabulous floorshow and sizzling swing music played by Sydney’s spectacular all-girl Sirens Big Band, just as it did in its halcyon days – but with plenty of 2011 edge.

An inexhaustible team of dancers will inspire and challenge you to burn up the floor. We’ll even give you dance lessons so everyone can join in!

So shine up your dancing shoes, get frocked up, grab a partner and head on down to George Street to soak up the atmosphere and energy of Sydney’s newest/oldest night club – Trocadero Dance Palace.


Think that sounds amazing? It's cause it was. The night was perfectly planned and the excitement and buzz in the air was contageous. There were swing dancers who couldn't wait to get on the dance floor, gorgeous girls who were frocked up and in their vintage element (I regret so much not taking more photos of them!), men and women who burned up the floor in the original Trocadero, and a sold out Town Hall full of people having one of the most amazing experiences of their lives.

Before the event I was a little bummed we missed out on tickets for tables on the floor but the tickets we had in the "gallery" were perfect. We could go up and watch the dancefloor and had a great view of the aerialists, but could also go down and dance (the table seats couldn't go up).

The music was so much fun and I'd be lying if I didn't say my favourite part was when they did big band versions of Beyonce songs. The dancefloor was massive but there was hardly a square inch to dance because it was so full- and there were no shirtless douchebags in sight!

I, and I'm sure many others motion for the "Troc" to be a regular Sydney event.
I love the history of it and there's a fantastic interview with Kris Stewart you can download from FBI Radio that's highly recommended.

I'm definitely rocking a 50's look more regularly because of it!

2 comments:

{ Kate Moore } on: February 8, 2011 at 7:08 AM said...

Your photos are the best I've seen of it. Hope it does come back next year. I had thought, like you, the Sydney Festival program a little bland this year, and think this looked the standout event. As it happened I've managed to not make any of the festival - work and family events took over - but would love to see this back next year.

{ jodeska } on: February 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM said...

Thanks so much! I was caught up in the excitement and didn't take as many as I liked. It was hard getting the right settings as well because of the changing lights and things happening so quickly.

Fingers crossed it does come back, we can all work on our swing skills til then!

Post a Comment

OLD POSTS

About

Sydney. Art. Music. Yum Cha.

Labels

 
Copyright © 2010 ..., All rights reserved